Friday, July 31, 2009

How much will a C+ in calculus affect my college chances?

I have a C+ in AP calculus AB for the semester (...hopefully) and it's the lowest grade I have ever received. That, and the B I received in Pre-calculus honors last year. I am not interested in math or anything, my recs are good, my extra-curriculars are pretty solid and I think my essays were good... also, my GPA as of last year is 3.98 (and I'm in a school system where an A is defined as 94-100..meaning it could be higher...) and my SAT score is pretty good. I'm not hoping for any Ivy leagues, but I am trying for UVa. and W%26amp;M... thoughts?


My grades in all my other classes, including APs, are either A's or B+'s...

How much will a C+ in calculus affect my college chances?
You have a really good chance of getting into a good college and depending on what year in high school you are you have some time to bring your GPA back if it drops just because of 1 C.
Reply:The danger is not the C, but the fact that you took AP calculus in high school. This is perhaps the most dangerous course for anyone to take if you're planning to take mathematics in college, because it makes you think you know more than you do. High-school calculus courses are, in general, rotten: they treat their students like trained monkeys, teaching them to do a couple of nifty-looking tricks without the poor kids understanding what they're actually doing. It entertains the parents and the teacher, but it makes life very tough for any math teacher they get in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment